Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Most Appetizing Salads (photographed in a relatively unappetizing manner)


Well, my food photography skills are certainly lacking (though in my defense I needed to take this photo very quickly, given the hungry hoardes waiting out of frame). This is part of the feast we assembled a couple of weekends back, at our party at the cottage. You can see my influence - pickled beetroot ready to grace the burgers (people seemed to enjoy it!) and Australian ETA BBQ sauce (a constant in the care packages from home). There's also Smitten Kitchen's Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad (middle left) and Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad (top right) and R's amazing take on Fattouche (liberal application of sumac is essential!). My Caramelised Onions, labourious but oh so worth it, are lost in the middle somewhere! Everything is recommended!


(Notes on the Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad - my carrots took much, much longer to roast than expected  but it was ok, I had set aside a bunch of time for the onions and the carrots don't really require much attention. The salad traveled very well sans avocado, which I added a bit before serving, along with fresh lemon. I think it would be delicious served with a roast chicken, as an alternative to the usual roast vegies)

No comments: